SkinLaze’s medical aesthetics team encourages clients to wear sunscreen daily, no matter the weather or the season, even on cloudy days and in the winter time. Keeping that in mind, with hot, sunny summer days in tow, the need for sun protection is greater than ever. Here are some facts on sun exposure and prevention to keep you knowledgeable and safe this summer.
Sun & Skin Cancer Facts:
• There are two types of ultraviolet radiation that are found in sun rays, UVA and UVB
• According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, UVB rays primarily cause sunburns, whereas UVA rays “penetrate the skin more deeply, and are associated with wrinkling, leathering, sagging, and other light-induced effects of aging . . . (and) exacerbate the carcinogenic (cancerous) effects of UVB rays.”*
• Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States
• Half of all adults report at least one sunburn in the past 12 months
• One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
Our medical aestheticians at SkinLaze suggest using an SPF 30 or greater, broad spectrum sunscreen to ensure more than enough protection from the sun’s harsh rays. Wearing an SPF 30 or greater “reduces the risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma by 40 percent and the risk of developing melanoma by 50 percent.”* Along with using sunscreen, our aesthetics staff also suggests avoiding tanning beds, spending time in the shade when outside, and wearing appropriate sun-protective clothing (ie: sunglasses, large brimmed hats, clothing from brands specifically designed for sun protection purposes) to avoid excessive sun exposure.
Medical Grade Sun Protection
Available at SkinLaze, SkinMedica’s Daily Physical Defense® Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30+ is a medical grade sunscreen, equipped with two physical UV blocks – FDA-approved zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. It is safe for all skin types and is gentle enough for post-procedure skin (ie: chemical peels, laser resurfacing, etc.), as it is oil-free, fragrance-free, and ultra-sheer. The physical blocks are complemented by green tea leaf extracts and caffeine ingredients, providing the skin with antioxidants and protection from free-radical damage. This sunscreen is also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective UV sunscreen.
Watch this video to learn more about medical grade sunscreen for your face to prevent premature aging, wrinkles and sun damage.
Have more questions regarding sun damage and prevention in the Syracuse and Central New York? Call the skincare experts at SkinLaze – 315.632.4359 or Click Here to set up your complimentary consultation today or visit us in the Fayetteville Towne Center, in between Kohl’s and YMCA.